Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Boston and Jeremy's Unexpected 1st Day of School

What a day.  What a crazy day.  I should be in bed, but I wanted to blog this while it was all fresh in my mind.  I thought Boston was going to be attending Kindergarten at our local elementary one week from today... then I received a phone call telling me that the charter school we had hoped to get into had a spot for Boston!  I was so stinkin' excited!!  Only problem was that they started school yesterday... and I only had a couple hours until the afternoon Kindergarten class started for today.  So with a mad rush here and there we got all of his records and paperwork filled out.  I borrowed a uniform from a good friend that luckily fit perfectly.

Trying to make it a special day I made Boston a quick K pancake for his lunch.... 

We sang "Happy School Days to You"  

Took a couple of quick pictures 

and I am DYING that my kid doesn't have a haircut for his 1st day of school.... but oh well, no time for that!  We arrived and his teacher was so warm and welcoming.  Boston was so excited and didn't seem a bit nervous.  He went right in with the class and didn't even look back.
-
I didn't have time to think about it.  I didn't have time to be emotional.  It was such a crazy morning!  The 3 hours flew by, and I couldn't wait to pick up my little guy!   

We went and had Ice Glaciers to celebrate and talk about his day.  His favorite part was Recess.  I asked him what he didn't like very much and he said "Nothing.  I loved everything!"  He really loved his teacher, and going to art class.  I am so glad he had a great 1st day, besides all the craziness.  I am so glad he was able to change his mindset and go to a totally different school then he was planning on.   Honestly, I am just glad I survived.

Meanwhile... Jeremy got an email from another student in the EMPA program saying "Does anyone want to carpool to school tonight?"  Jeremy all confused, figures out that school started TONIGHT not tomorrow like he had thought.  Tonight was a formal dinner... so he too went hunting for a "uniform."  D.I. saved the day, and he was able to get to his 1st day just in time.  He loved his 1st day as well.  Boston and Jeremy had VERY similar days!    

This morning, before the phone call I had told the kids that we could go to the Dinosaur Museum (2 dollar Tuesday's happening now!)  But after the phone call those plans went flying out the window.  Hadley was crushed.   Absolutely crushed.  She said "This makes me feel really angry!"  So to try to bring some happiness to my little lady I took the kids while Jeremy was at school tonight. 

They enjoyed the new Sound Exhibit  
 

Hadley's favorite part is the water/sand area.  Seriously, anything that has water is her favorite. 
 

Boston loved the digging for fossils area.  It was a great ending to our super crazy unexpected day.   

3 comments:

Paul and Darla said...

That is SO hilarious!!! A day never to be forgotten. Glad you all survived.

Lynne said...

What a fun day!! I bet Boston is going to love school!

Kristen said...

Crazy. I remember when Boston was born. And it wasn't that long ago. . .