Wednesday, September 25, 2013

September 11th Memorial- FINALLY FINISHED!

I stole some of the following picture from the Deseret News...

When I was 16 I served on a board called Youth of Promise.  We decided to build a 9/11 Memorial to honor those from Utah who lost their lives that tragic day.   I spent countless hours working on this project.  Fundraiser after Fundraiser, presentation after presentation.  Nearly 12 years later it is finally finished.  I was so excited to go back and be a part of the unveiling!

I arrived at 5:30am to help make sure everything was ready to go!  One of the major parts of the presentation was these balloons... which in the early morning wind had turned into a big tangled mess!  Luckily one of the kids thought to take all the balloons into the bathroom out of the wind so we could untangle them!  It was quiet the sight seeing 132 balloons in a single bathroom along with 6 people trying to untangle them before the event started... but we did it!  I love the behind the scenes stuff! 

I was hoping that lots of my family and friend would come to support me in this big event, and lucky for me those who have always been there for me were there.  My parents, my husband, and my kids!  Even despite the rain, dark, and cold.
-
There was a wonderful program including Senator Stuart Adams, Lt. Governor Greg Bell, Congressman Rob Bishop's representative, lots of beautiful music, and powerful video tributes.

Then the group headed down to the memorial.  On their way we handed out balloons... 

6 beautiful, meaningful plaques were unveiled.  #1- Brad Floyd-Youth of Promise member, #2- Liz Howell whose husband was killed in the pentagon, #3- Ariel Platt Chu-jon who drew one of the picture feature when she was just a kid #4- Fay Dolan a gold star mother, #5- Ismael Rougle (a gold star father) and #6- Kay Openshaw (a gold star mother).  Powerful moments.  

Then it was time to unveil the beautiful statue.  The center piece to the memorial.  I was so honored to be chosen to represent the Youth of Promise and unveil the statue along side Lt. Colonel Jay Hess representing the military, Darrel Schmidt who was the firefighter who posed for the statue, and the Kaysville police chief.  It was a really special moment for me. 
 
 

This picture of Liz Howell describes why I did it.  Meeting the families who lost loved ones was a very touching thing for me as a youth.  9/11 was really scary for me.  I had never seen or heard of anything like it in my life.  It was great to focus on something positive and help these families have a place for their loved ones to be remembered forever.

Liz Howell hugging sculptor Angela Johnson 

This was one of the best moments.  The 3 victims of 9/11 from Utah all had family members there.  They each sent up a white balloon in remembrance of them.  

Family members of the military who have died fighting the war on terror were there to sent up a blue balloon in honor of their son or daughter. 

To many people. 

Taps was played, gun salute,  

and then a 96 year old WWII veteran sang the National Anthem. 
 
 
 
 

The bag pipes played, tears rolled down many faces.
-

So grateful for my parents never ending support

and my husbands too!
This is what I wrote that day "Words can simply not express what I felt today.  A 9/11 Memorial that I help start nearly 12 years ago, was finally built and unveiled today.  The memorial pays tribute to the 3 Utahans that were killed on 9/11 and all the Utah Military Personal that have been killed fighting the war on terror.  Seeing family members with tears in their eyes touch the name of their loved ones on the memorial, made every effort so worth it.  I am proud to be an American.  I am humbled by the sacrifice of so many.  I am so grateful for all the amazing experiences I have had over the past 12 years working with some incredible people on this project.  I am grateful to have a beautiful place to take my children to teach them lessons of patriotism, and the cost of freedom. God Bless America!"




If you see this sign on the freeway, look to the east!  You will see the memorial!!!  I invite you all to go see it, and when you do, take a picture and send it to me!  That would mean the world  to me!  The address is 920 South 50 West  Kaysville, Utah!


Newspaper and News for my future reference
Statue being put into place

Incredible Pictures











1 comment:

Paul and Darla said...

Thanks again for sharing that, Camille.