Thursday, March 31, 2011

General Conference Ideas

I was hoping to share these sooner, but better late then never. I love when other people share their ideas, so I thought I would share a few of mine. -




I printed off some great activity/coloring pages for my two kiddo's. I printed a few pages from several differen't packets. Here are the links; Deseret Book The Friend SugarDoodleI made Hadley an Apostle Matching Folder Game We challanged all the kids in our primary to learn the face/names of The First Presidency and The Quorum of the Twelve Apostles. If they do it, they get a GIANT candy bar! It has been so awesome to watch the kids studying their apostles in sacrament, helping little siblings to learn them, and seeing how proud they are when they pass them off. So anyways, we made them these little rings with the apostles pictures on the front, and their name on the back. I really feel like when the kids know the faces and names of these wonderful men, they are more excited to see them during General Conference and even want to listen to what they have to say. I know that has been true with Boston. He get's so excited to tell us who's speaking.
I did these a long time ago, but Hadley loves them. She loves caring them around the house, and she especially loves saying President Uchtdorf's name.
Another thing we did for our primary was print off a Conference Bingo for each of them to take home. We attatched smarties to the back. Bingo is a classic, and so much fun!

I know I can't expect my 1 and 3 year olds to sit and listen for 8 hours. But I can teach them that General Conference is a big deal. I can teach them that General Conference is important to me, and hopefully it will be to them too! I want to teach them how special it is to get to hear from a living prophet. My parents always made conference so much fun. We always had special food, special treats, we did lots of puzzles, and legos! I know how special conference is to my parents because of the way they treated the weekend. I want to make is special for my children. I want to have as many activities as I can that will help them listen and learn as much as they can. - I understand though, that 8 hours is a long time, so I also created activities that will help keep them quiet while still listeing to Conference. I put a variety of activities in little bags. Activities that involved cutting, glueing, stringing fruit loops, stickers, painting with water, and even play doe. I have everything we will need for the activity ready to go in these bags. That way I don't have to get up to get anything! I am thinking of adding some bag's with special treats in. I am going to let them open a bag every 2 speakers or something... - I also have a pile of all of our quiet toys ready to go. Blocks, lego's, puzzles.... - I am hoping that with enough preperation we can make this a very special weekend for all of us. - More Idea Websites; SugarDoddle Conference Page The Idea Door

1 comment:

Megan Smith said...

Cute ideas, Camille!