Thursday, April 1, 2010

What Have I Done For My Marriage Today?


There are some billboards around town that say "What have you done to be a Dad today." Today I find myself thinking "What have I done for my Marriage today?" I was reading President Henry B. Eyrings talk "Our Perfect Example" today and wanted to share a few thoughts. The Divorce rate is always on the rise, and all around me I watch as marriages fall apart. It scares me. Satan is so real. He wants so badly to destroy marriages and families. When I read this talk, it made me feel like I want to do so much more to keep my marriage and family strong and Satan resistant.

"...the greatest joys and the greatest sorrows we experience are in family relationships. The joys come from putting the welfare of others above our own. That is what love is. And the sorrow comes primarily from selfishness, which is the absence of love. The ideal God holds for us is to form families in the way most likely to lead to happiness and away from sorrow. A man and a woman are to make sacred covenants that they will put the welfare and happiness of the other at the center of their lives. Children are to be born into a family where the parents hold the needs of children equal to their own in importance. And children are to love parents and each other."

"First, I give counsel to husbands and wives. Pray for the love which allows you to see the good in your companion. Pray for the love that makes weaknesses and mistakes seem small. Pray for the love to make your companion’s joy your own. Pray for the love to want to lessen the load and soften the sorrows of your companion."

I hope to make this counsel a goal and priority in my life. I love my family so much and want to be with them forever. If I really want that, I need to put forth the effort.

2 comments:

Berry Family said...

His talk really is a great one! It really is sad & scary how fast Satan works & how real he is.

Melanie said...

We focused on that talk last Sunday. It is so important to remember and so true. Thanks for sharing that, I need all the reminders I can get!