Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Church Of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Relief Society General Conference

I was really lucky to be able to go with my mom to the Conference Center and attend the General Relief Society Conference this past Saturday night. I love going to the Conference Center for a couple of reasons. First, it is always wonderful to be in the presence of the Prophet of God. I loved when President Monson walked in, and all 21,000+ women stood up in silence as a matter of respect. It was a very powerful moment.
-
The second reason I love going to the conference center to experience conference is when they have the choir and the whole congregation sing. I love being able to stand up with 21,000 other women and sing of the truths we know. The spirit always fills my body, and tears come to my eyes as I realize the power of the women of the church.
-
The third reason is to be uplifted, taught, and motivated by the leaders who speak to us. Here are a few things I thought I would share; please note that these are not exact quotes.
I loved when Sister Julie Beck said that without personal revelation you cannot succeed, with personal revelation you can not fail. This is something that is different about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. We believe that everyone is entitled to their own personal revelation. What a blessing that is.
I really loved when President Dieter F. Uchtdorf spoke. He reminded all of us women that we are treasured daughters of our Heavenly Father with great value. One of my favorite things he said was that when we improve the world around us, we improve the world in us.
It was a wonderful evening.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also enjoyed the conference and I thought Uchtdorf's message balanced out Sister Beck's really well. I always feel like she's saying we can and need to do more, which is just great and true but can sometimes feel overwhelming.
How funny is it that you were at the conference center! I was there too and totally saw a girl that made me think of you cause for a moment I thought it was you, but the girl didn't seem to recognize me so I'm sure my eyes were just acting funny.
I love the family picture. Your little man is so photogenic and has character just OOZING from his smiling face. Hope things are well!

Mary-Anne said...

I agree! It was a wonderful evening! You're lucky you could go with your mom...I went by myself, but the message is all the same. :) I LOVED Elder Uchtdorf's talk! I thought he was so good!! They all did very well, but I just really needed to hear his talk. And P.S. I LOVE your new picture at the top of your blog!! IT's SO cute!!

Lynne said...

It was a great night! Wish I could have said more to you then "Hi". I was there with some other sisters in my ward. It was so nice to be there and then go visit with the sisters from my ward and get to know them better. The RS program truly is amazing.

The Willeyes said...

I loved it. I loved President Uchtdorf:) Always so uplifting! Love your new picture by the way:)

Mama! said...

You're new picture is darling and the background is perfect! I didn't get to see much of the conference due to my sisters wedding, thanks for sharing your thoughts. You are such a great person!